Perhaps it’s because you haven’t cleaned your heat styling tools in a few weeks? Months? Ever?
Top-quality styling tools are an investment, so it’s important to know how to clean and sanitize hot hair styling tools every now and then to be sure they’re free of dirt, dust, bacteria, and product buildup.
If you invest the time and effort to take proper care of them, they’ll be safer, perform better, and last years longer.
It’s worth it to keep them in tip-top shape. Besides, dust-clogged dryers, unsanitary straighteners, and contaminated curling wands can wreak havoc on your hair.
Why is it important to clean hair tools?
Before we deep dive into the best ways to clean and sanitize your hair tools, let's get a good understanding of why it's so important to clean them in the first place:
- Hygiene - thermal hair styling tools can accumulate dirt, oils, product residue, and even bacteria over time. Regular cleaning prevents the buildup of these substances, ensuring your tools are clean and safe to use.
- Hair health - in addition, dirty tools can transfer oils, debris, and product buildup back into your hair, which can lead to scalp issues, breakouts, and a less healthy hair appearance. Just like straightening dirty hair, using dirty tools can be detrimental to your hair's health, especially over the long run.
- Tool durability - regular deep cleaning of your hair tools can significantly extend their lifespan. Residue buildup can damage the bristles, plates, or blades, causing them to wear out faster.
- Effective styling - clean tools work more efficiently. Clean hairbrushes and combs glide smoothly through your hair, while clean styling tools like flat irons and curling wands provide better results without snagging or sticking.
- Enhance product performance - product residue on tools can transfer to your hair, altering the performance and effectiveness of styling products.
- Aesthetics - clean tools look better and are more appealing to use. Dirty, gunk-covered tools can be off-putting and may not provide a pleasant styling experience.
- Preventing allergies and skin issues - accumulated dust, debris, and bacteria on hair tools can trigger allergies or skin issues in some individuals. Regular cleaning reduces this risk.
How often should you clean your hair tools?
The frequency of cleaning your hair tools depends on usage and hair type. Hairbrushes and combs should ideally be cleaned once a month, but more often if they accumulate hair and product residue.
Heated styling tools, like flat irons and curling wands, benefit from cleaning after each use or as needed to prevent product buildup and maintain optimal performance.
Cleaning helps keep your tools hygienic, extends their lifespan, and ensures they work effectively. Tailor the cleaning schedule to your specific hair care routine and preferences.
And now, let's take a look at our top tips and steps on how to clean hair tools: